JUNTOS was founded in 2008 by Ailey/Fordham BFA student Joanna Poz-Molesky. Originally intended for a one-time international trip to Mexico in 2009, JUNTOS quickly expanded to an organization bridging performance, community outreach, and intercultural exchange. Today, the organization continues New York and San Francisco community outreach as well as numerous annual international trips, constantly expanding its program to other communities lacking performing arts. JUNTOS continues growing each year: outreach trips, artists involved, collaborators, and workshops among many more aspects.
- JUNTOS Collective is established by Ailey/Fordham BFA sophomore Joanna Poz-Molesky
- New York Community outreach program founded to offer workshops and performances in Manhattan elementary schools and retirement homes.
- 12 dancers from The Ailey School/Fordham University, The Juilliard School, and SUNY Purchase engage in a successful tour to central Mexico for two weeks of performance and intercultural exchange
- JUNTOS: Guatemala is established. For the first time, JUNTOS travels to the Guatemalan highlands to teach, perform, and share dance in schools, orphanages, retirement homes, and other communities that seldom encounter modern dance.
- JUNTOS expands to California to work with students from the LINES Ballet BFA at Dominican University.
- Northern California outreach program founded to offer workshops and performances with various communities
- Atrezzo Marketing, a marketing firm in Guatemala, teams with JUNTOS to organize all future outreach trips in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, and Nicaragua
- JUNTOS decides to offer two trips to Guatemala: one in January and one in March. Michael McBride, dancer with Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, participates in the first JUNTOS Guatemala trip in January. Michael was to participate in the first JUNTOS trip to Mexico in 2009 until he was offered a contract with AAADT.
- The Collective is funded $9500 from KickStarter and through it, the Costa Rica and Nicaragua outreach trip is established
- JUNTOS expands to work with BFA dance students from Boston Conservatory